Norah's Blog

Monday, October 09, 2006

Thankgiving Canadian Style

So Last week I was just miserable. I got screwed around with my credits in school, swimming was kicking my ass and I was homesick. I spoke to my Mum only a few times too, but in one of our conversations she mentioned that it was Thanksgiving back home (Americans celebrate it in November). So I was wanting something that would make me feel better..then I had a great idea. I figured that since we have so many canadians here I would cook a Thanksgiving feast. So I went out and bought a turkey and items I could use to cook dinner for my friends. I told my roomates who are both Canadian and I asked if they were in. So they agreed and it was on. I was really nervous because I had never cooked a turkey without my Mum. I had helped her every year I was home growing up...I was a lot of help when I was older though. But saturday came and after morning practice I was informed by Jessie (one roomate) that 10 people were invited!! I thought by my count that it was going to be 5. I only bought a 10 lb turkey!! So I got really nervous. I went straight home and started cooking. Thankfully my precious mother sent me a recipe and some directions to follow and everything worked out. We had supper at 6 and were all done dessert by 7:30. I even baked 2 pumpkin pies! I think the whole plan for the celebration was therapeutic. I feel like I am lost when I don't have my family in close proximity (sp?). I needed something to make me feel normal again..like the normal routine when I was growing up. So there was turkey success this weekend and I hope I did my part for my Canadian "family" here in Vegas. I hope all you non-sellouts back up in canad ate too much and drank a lot. I love you all and miss you a lot!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home